We are part of a traditional mountain community that inspires celebration, education, and volunteerism as tools to promote healing and social change. We have a special commitment to the people of the southern West Virginia Mountains, especially children.
Big Laurel Learning Center embodies the special dream of founder Edwina Pepper: a community-based education for local children, steeped in Appalachian heritage and looking outward to a larger world.
Our programs include:
- Web of Life Ecology Center, which focuses on the ecology of the region and the world
- Youth summer camps
- Alternative breaks for high school, college, and church groups for education and service opportunities
- Hospitality for retreats and recovery
- Annual work camps to repair homes for local families
- Emergency food for local families
- Hosting AmeriCorps members who serve at Kermit K8
We welcome your participation and wish to express our gratitude to the many friends and benefactors who make possible the ongoing ministry of Big Laurel.