Big Laurel is looking for a new Executive Director with a start date on July 1st 2018. All those interested should send in a cover letter and a resume. Applicants will be contacted for interviews beginning April 1st.
Big Laurel Learning Center Director
Current Director: Ian Noyes
email@example.com – (304)-393-9120
PO Box 266
Kermit, WV 25674
Inspiring celebration, education and volunteerism as tools to promote healing and social change
Work will average 40 hours per week with some weeks demanding more hours and others less.
- Manage all communication and needs of the groups or individuals who come as guests to Big Laurel to ensure a hospitable atmosphere.
- In collaboration with the on-site Big Laurel community members and the Board, assess the potential for partnerships in the community and identify relevant ministry partners.
- Determine the focus of your ministry at Big Laurel to ensure increased quality of work and longevity of position.
Public Relations and Development
- Develop a 3 -5 year strategic plan by the end of the first year in order to determine the fiscal, programmatic, and physical plant goals of the organization. Complete this task in cooperation with Big Laurel community members and the Board.
- Seek grant money to increase financial stability.
- Manage and advance the “public face” of BL via social media, newsletters, fund raising events, presentation and participation in community events with the goal to broaden the network of supporters and advance the mission of Big Laurel.
- Maintain and update database of contacts for communication and funding purposes.
Building and Maintenance
- Implement building and grounds improvements as outlined in strategic plan.
- Manage day to day and regularly occurring maintenance tasks with a focus on sustainable practices.
- Coordinate volunteers and contract laborers in order to complete necessary tasks.
Administration and Finances
- Work with financial associates in order to fulfill all financial responsibilities.
- Maintain all relevant documents, both paper and electronic, to provide usable records for the future.
- Manage all communications, i.e. director’s email address, mail, and phone calls.
- Compile progress reports to be assessed at quarterly Board meetings.
- Work in an apprentice style relationship with Big Laurel community members in their areas of expertise.
- Coordinate efforts with Big Laurel’s Notre Dame AmeriCorps members in cooperation with the on-site AmeriCorps director.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and familiarity with Appalachian history and current issues.
- Comfortable interacting with diverse socio-economic populations and people recovering from addiction.
- Desire to lead and participate in community development efforts.
- Ability to manage time and be self-motivated.
- Ability to facilitate volunteer groups.
- Property maintenance skills.
- Program planning abilities.
- Networking capabilities.
- Grant Writing and fund development.
- On-site housing and partial utility coverage.
- Use of Big Laurel’s truck and gas card for business purposes.